Monday, January 24, 2011

The Yarn Bowl

While sorting and inventorying our household goods, I came across a very heavy Czech crystal bowl that was part of Flint's collection when we married. A friend graciously shopped for Flint on one of her first trips to the new Czech Republic.  This bowl weighs a ton! I can't remember it ever being on display; it has been stored in cabinets, in the scary room, wherever. It has become The Yarn Bowl.

The Yarn Bowl now resides in the living room near other knitting supplies. As I enjoy the changing colors of the yarn as skeins are added and remnants are used up, I think of life, its changes, the colorful, the dull, the short and the long; the ease of somethings, the challenges of others; the mixes and the separations; rights and wrongs; the functional and the elegant; beginnings and endings......

I must thank my friend, D'Juana, for introducing me to the knit stitch. She started me out with bamboo needles and a dishcloth pattern. When I needed a purl stitch, I looked in a book followed by internet video clarification. Another mentor is Hilary who now resides in England. I met her when I started the baby afghan for Navy Marine Corps Relief Society. (NMCRS gives each newborn a baby seabag containing an afghan along with an assortment of baby supplies.) Hilary designs and knits beautifully. She graciously continues to coach me via Ravelry. Friend Sandra taught me to 'tink' which is 'knit' backwards, a way of undoing mistakes. Very useful! 

Considering myself to be a knitter did not happen immediately. It took several small projects, the baby afghan, and Skyping with our dear friends in Florida. When she held up the worn dishcloth -one of my first- renamed "Moose Hiding Behind the Fence,"  that confirmed my status as a knitter. (The moose 'hid' as I was off a row and that changed the pattern.) Nothing makes a knitter feel as good as to know their time and stitches are appreciated and used.

1 comment:

  1. Nice metaphor . . . reminds me of the mosaics metaphors! You inspire me to write something! Happy knitting . . .

    ReplyDelete