Wednesday, August 17, 2011

This Season's Figs!

Dear neighbor, Antonio, gave us our first figs of the season. Flint couldn't wait for me to take a picture as the sweet fig juice formed golden drops on the outside.  And Flint says, "To give you some scale, these figs were the size of plums and no smaller than golf balls."




Although we ate many of the figs fresh and raw, I didn't want any to go to waste so I made my annual fig cake. To my surprise, the recipe for the Applesauce Cake no longer appears on the box of the Duncan Hines Spice Cake Mix. However, Duncan Hines is just a website away.

I'm gathering a list of fig recipes and look forward to trying some more ways of enjoying my favorite fruit.

My inspiration for this posting is Joy of The Joy of Everyday Cooking. I met Joy through volunteering with the Navy Marine Corps Relief Society. She is, indeed, a joy...in addition to being a good Southern girl who appreciates delicious food and recognizes how gatherings revolve around it.

More fresh figs with new recipe!
From The Junior League of Honolulu, Inc.'s
Aloha Days Hula Nights
After cutting the figs, drizzle a dressing of olive oil and
balsamic vinegar; fresh basil; a sprinkle
of salt and pepper.
A new favorite way to eat figs!

1 comment:

  1. Thanks for mentioning me in your post!! I was browsing your blog when I noticed it.

    The figs look so good and your pics are beautiful.

    It is a "joy" volunteering with you too sweet Jan!

    ReplyDelete