Thursday, April 29, 2010

Time....Whose Side is it On?

One of the best things about retirement is not having to maintain a daily schedule generated by the clock. Although I find myself in a bit of a household routine, it's wonderful to 'kind of' wake up when Flint tells me goodbye then drift along with the neighborhood rooster crowing then to sleep or not to sleep....that is the question.

I did go on base recently for a haircut. Flint dropped me off at the Food Court where I ate breakfast with the Food Court breakfast crew, puttered around here and there before going to the Beauty Shop. The girl who works at the Pick Up Point spoke as she exited and I entered. A couple of beauticians were seated, talking. They looked at me and said, "Cut?"

I said, "Si."

They looked at the book. "No appointment?"

"No."

Pietro said, "Come on."

Noticing they weren't as friendly as usual, I said, "Y'all aren't very busy today, are you?"

He replied, "We aren't open yet."

Mortified, I asked, "Why didn't you tell me?"

He said (smiling), "We'll just charge extra!"

I told him, "You may go home early today!"

2 comments:

  1. And with all of the price lists posted, at least outside the base, you will never know if you were charged extra (although I doubt it). Here all the shops are union, and for whatever reason I always get charged less than the posted price. (And that is for a complete head shave, I have not had a regular hair cut for years)!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sounds like it's on YOUR side. Yippee! I'm so glad you are enjoying your time, something I'm sure you felt you never had enough of when you were teaching. Peace...

    ReplyDelete