Friday, November 16, 2012

Lourdes-October, 2012-Week 1

Having settled on dates for a stateside return, I planned to run that errand and do my volunteering; however, the base was shutting down due to a water problem. When I came home and checked emails, I found an invitation from North American Volunteers. One choice included volunteering for two pilgrimages to Lourdes as well as the Canonization in Rome. Flint said that I had to do it for us. Perfect timing as I could now make plans to depart from Louisiana and meet the group in NYC. At JFK, I had never been hugged by so many people I didn't yet know! What a wonderful group of volunteers!

One of my five roommates, Maggie and I strolled around. She's
with a statue of Queen Margaret of Scotland.

The River Gave
Notice the water level.

Getting to know one another
 

Opening Mass
 
Franciscan University of Steubenville students
taking up the gifts.
Over fifty students gave their break to serve

 
Relics of St. Hildegard of Bingham, Germany, and St. Bernard of Clairvaux,
France, were combined following World War II.

Rain fell steadily, but people continued to gather and pray in the Grotto.

A pelican on a Tabernacle
in the Rosary Basilica
 
Having seen the pelican in churches
and on lectionaries, Father Rick finally gave me the answer
as to why. Pelicans supposedly pluck themselves to
provide their young with nourishment if they don't
have another source of food.
 
 

The Visitation in Braille and mosaic

 
 

 
 

 
 At the water taps
 
From the bridge in town
 

Entrance to the Poor Clares
 
 
 
 

Welcoming arriving pilgrims with song!
 
 

Lots of activity as pilgrims and luggage are unloaded.




 
Marlene of North American Volunteers is a wealth
of knowledge about Lourdes and St. Bernadette.

Waiting....


One of our pilgrims reading a prayer

Father Rick and my roommate, Roberta
 
 

 Rosa congratulates Maggie on making her commitment
to return to Lourdes every year.
 
Ed made the same committment.
 

Assigned to housekeeping duties, these are the outstanding
Franciscan University of Steubenville students who also served.
What a privilege to be with them!

The crew set the tables beautifully for every meal.

 
Paz, Maggie Sue, Linda, Rosa

What I've always called 'holy light'
 
This 'holy light' reminds me of the Trinity as
well as His light shining through the darkness.
 
 
 
 
Mass in the Grotto with Father Ron

The lower Stations of the Cross
on the rainy day before departure for Rome.
 
Ducks were hesitant to enter the rushing river.

An uprooted tree

Ironically, this path is the Water Way.
 
 
 
 
 

No comments:

Post a Comment